CONTEMPORARY EXTENSION TO LISTED, THATCHED BUILDING
This is a Grade II Listed building located built circa 1600. Within the curtilage there are several buildings which accompany the main building, all built at different times. The brief was to renovate the main building, add a rear extension and convert the outbuildings to provide guest accommodation.
During the refurbishment, a number of historical paintings on the walls were discovered of scenes from the Cromwell era under layers of wallpaper and plasterwork. The extension is angled to the main building to face the garden, and the material for the exterior: Corten steel, following the rural style as it oxidises over the years, a nod to the rusty roofs of the old barns. The extension is finished with a green flat roof, visible from several the first-floor windows.
The project is completed with the renovation of the outbuildings, which follows our aim to preserve the historical character and keep as much of the original as fabric as possible, but at the same time giving the new and existing spaces which satisfies the client’s needs.